Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Monday, March 16, 2009

    Diabetes and Water Consumption

    I am the absolute worst for drinking enough water in a day.. in fact.. I live on Coffee and Diet Pepsi... I vow to change this after learning about why it is so important that I drink lots of water, even more important than for a non-diabetic.

    Whether you are a type 1 or a type 2 diabetic, water helps you to convert sugar in the blood into urine so you can get rid of it. If you are dehydrated, it is harder on your kidneys, and other organs and can eventually cause more problems.

    Nevermind that it is great for your skin, breath, hair, nails and other inner workings. Every single organ system in our bodies requires water to function properly. Water flushes out toxins and carries nutrients to our cells and tissues. Water keeps our mucous membranes moist. And, of course, water keeps us hydrated.

    Have a glass... right now!

    FYI - it is recommended that women have at least 11 8oz glasses of water a day, and men 15. I know I know.. more than the 8 glasses that used to be the norm!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Diabetics Dialogue