Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Sunday, March 8, 2009

    Diabetic Weight Loss Tips

    I have always struggled with weight loss as a Juvenile Diabetic. I was extremely athletic as a child and teen, I monitored my blood sugar levels, I didn`t eat sweets, yet I always carried extra weight around. As a young adult I had gained a fair bit of weight over time - and I woke up one day sitting at about 220 lbs. I am only about 5`6 so this was a bit much to say the least. During the past year two years I have had my ups and downs, trying to diet and eat healthy while maintain good control over my sugar levels. I tried the Atkins diet which left me exausted and battling low blood sugar all the time, I tried eating lots of vegetables and whole grains, and then I finally tried the South Beach Diet. I switched my insulin from Humulin and Regular, to Lantus and Novorapid (made a huge difference with regard to control) and started the first two weeks of strict South Beach recipes and advice. Was it hard - yes. Did it get easier - absolutely.

    The first two weeks was very strict. No carbs other than what you can get from some of the vegetables that they have listed as ok food choices, no breads, no pasta, lots of lean protein, eggs, veggies, low fat cheese, fat free milk - etc.

    I dropped about 7 lbs in the first two weeks - a lot of which was water weight but still very encouraging.

    After the first two weeks of phase one, you move into the second phase which is when you start introducing more food options back into your diet. Healthy options that still allow you to lose weight but teach you what to eat, what portions to eat, and how this affects your weight loss.

    I have lost a total of 50 lbs so far - in fact, I weigh less now than I did in high school! I have managed to cut back my insulin by a significant number of units per day, I feel better, I have more energy, I suffer less high or low blood sugar episodes, and I am finally fitting into the clothes that I want to wear - It is amazing.

    Whether you are a type one or type two diabetic, or not even diabetic but interested in losing a few pounds - I have had a lot of success and only a little bit of pain. Go and buy the book - it will cost you less than 10 bucks and I guarantee that it will be the best 10 bucks you will spend.

    I had a lot of questions about converting from phase one to phase two in a way that will still allow me to lose weight - my suggestion to you is to simply add one food at a time in one week intervals at around the same time of day. That way you can see if you are still losing, increased losing, or decreased losing and make changes that are suitable for you. Eveyone is different so it is a bit of trial and error.

    Let me know if you have any questions - I`d be happy to help.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Diabetics Dialogue